Resources for Providers
- AAFP Clinical Recommendations: Obesity
- Americans In Motion – Healthy Interventions (AIM-HI). AAFP initiative designed to improve the health of all Americans through a multifaceted fitness program addressing physical activity, nutrition and emotional well-being in the individual, family and community.
- Ready, Set, FIT! is a school-based educational program, endorsed by the National School Board Association, that teaches third and fourth graders about the importance of fitness.
- Obesity – American Family Physician. This collection features AFP content deemed current by the AFP online medical editor on obesity and related issues, including bariatric surgery, childhood obesity, diet, exercise, lifestyle counseling, and weight loss maintenance.
- Childhood Obesity: Assessment, Prevention, and Treatment. AAFP’s CME Bulletin on assessment, prevention, and treatment of childhood obesity.
Presentations – available for member download and use.
- Reducing Sugary Drinks to Promote Good Health! This slide show was created by the WAFP Public Health Committee in collaboration with King County Public Health and is available to physician members who would like to present it in their local community, or display in their clinic waiting rooms. Available as a PowerPoint or a PDF file.
Download PowerPoint version: WAFP_Sugary Drinks PPT
Download PDF version: WAFP_Sugary_Drinks_PDF
- Childhood Obesity – Improving Nutrition in Schools (from 2012 WAFP Scientific Assembly – presented by Dr. Kevin Martin & Dr. Gordon Wheat)
- Pediatric Obesity – Tools to take on the Elephant in the Room (from 2011 WAFP Scientific Assembly – presented by Dr. Lisa Johnson & Dr. Kelvie Johnson)
- www.LetsMove.gov (BMI and PDSA tools)
- Take Action Health Care Providers
- National Initiative for Children’s Healthcare Quality – Obesity Factsheets – WA state & county statistics
- Childhood Obesity Action Network (NICHQ)
- American Academy of Pediatrics: Prevention and Treatment of Childhood Overweight and Obesity
- Seattle Children’s Obesity Program
- Obesity Advocacy and Community Programs
- Obesity Education and Resources for Healthcare Providers
- Motivational Interview training
- ChooseMyPlate Community Toolkit
- Farm to School – Washington state resources
- Energize Your Meetings – Washington Department of Health Resource (PDF)
- We Can! (Ways to Enhance Children’s Activity & Nutrition)
- For Health Providers. We Can!® worked with two of its national partners, The American Academy of Pediatrics and The American Academy of Family Physicians, to develop The Physicians’ Role in Preventing Childhood Overweight and Obesity (PDF) and We Can! Parent Tips: Healthy Families, Healthy Weight (PDF). These resources for physicians and other health professionals include information on how to enhance children’s activity and nutrition.
- Other Tools & Resources
- Community Site Locations in WA