National Conference of Constituency Leaders (NCCL) is the AAFP’s annual leadership and policy development event for underrepresented constituencies. At NCCL, attendees develop skills to advocate for issues that are relevant to their constituency, their practice, and their patients.
Each year the WAFP is committed to send delegates representing each of the five member constituencies, defined as:
- Lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) physicians or physician allies—an active member of AAFP who self-identifies as LGBT or who is supportive of LGBT issues.
- International medical graduate (IMG) physicians—an active member of AAFP who graduated from medical school outside the United States, Canada or Puerto Rico.
- Minority family physicians—an active member of AAFP who is American Indian or Alaska Native, Asian, Black or African American, Native Hawaiian, or other Pacific Islander; by ethnicity as Hispanic or Latino.
- New physicians—an active member of AAFP who has been in practice less than seven years.
- Women physicians—an active member of AAFP who is a woman.
At NCCL, delegates discuss issues facing family physicians and work on resolutions proposing policy direction for the Academy, elect national officers, gain and enhance skills to become an articulate policy advocate and an effective leader, and meet others who share similar interests.
Delegates are expected to participate in all NCCL-specific business functions but also have opportunity to attend a variety of educational breakout sessions each day as well.
Members may also attend as a general (non-voting) member and still participate in the business sessions, workshops, celebrations and networking events.
The NCCL is a popular AAFP event. Feedback over the experience is overwhelmingly positive. Participants report leaving the conference fully charged from a weekend of fellowship with hundreds of family physicians from across the nation who share a sense of dedication and engagement.
The next NCCL conference will be held April 25-27, 2019, Kansas City, MO. The application period for the 2019 constituency representatives is now closed.