National Conference of Constituency Leaders (NCCL) is the AAFP’s annual leadership and policy development event for underrepresented constituencies. At NCCL, attendees develop skills to advocate for issues that are relevant to their constituency, their practice, and their patients.
Each year the WAFP is committed to send delegates representing each of the five member constituencies, defined as:
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (GLBT) Physicians—an active member of AAFP who self-identifies as GLBT or who is supportive of GLBT issues.
- International Medical Graduate (IMG) Physicians—an active member of AAFP who graduated from medical school outside the United States, Canada or Puerto Rico.
- Minority Family Physicians— an active member of AAFP who is American Indian or Alaska Native, Asian, Black or African American, Native Hawaiian or other Pacific Islander; by ethnicity as Hispanic or Latino.
- New Physicians—an active member of AAFP who has been in practice less than seven years.
- Women Physicians—an active member of AAFP who is a woman.
At NCCL, delegates discuss issues facing family physicians and work on resolutions proposing policy direction for the Academy, elect national officers, gain and enhance skills to become an articulate policy advocate and an effective leader, and meet others who share similar interests.
Delegates are expected to participate in all NCCL-specific business functions, but also have opportunity to attend a variety of educational breakout sessions each day as well.
Members may also attend as a general (non-voting) member, and still participate in the business sessions, workshops, celebrations and networking events.
The NCCL is a popular AAFP event. Feedback over the experience is overwhelmingly positive. Participants report leaving the conference fully charged from a weekend of fellowship with hundreds of family physicians from across the nation who share a sense of dedication and engagement.
The next NCCL conference will be held April 27-29, 2017, Kansas City, MO
Interested in being a 2017 delegate?
Please complete and return the 2017 NCCL Delegate Application no later than Friday, February 24, 2017.
If you are selected to represent the WAFP as a delegate to NCCL, the Academy will reimburse eligible expenses (with the submission of a delegate report and original receipts). We hope you will consider serving your Academy as a delegate at the next NCCL conference.
3rd Year Residents: WAFP offers up to three scholarships each year to third-year residents interested in attending NCCL. If interested please complete the 2017 NCCL Res Scholarship Application no later than Friday, February 24, 2017.