Advanced Life Support in Obstetrics (ALSO) Instructor Course. The ALSO Instructor Course is designed to teach current ALSO providers the skills and knowledge needed to effectively facilitate lectures and workstations at an ALSO Provider Course. Successful completion of this course, as well as evaluation and recommendation by an advisory faculty member is required to become an ALSO approved instructor. This course is geared toward practicing maternity care physicians, third-year residents, certified nurse midwives and registered nurses who have successfully completed the ALSO Provider Course and have current ALSO Provider status at the time of the course.
Holiday Inn & Suites, Bellingham, WA
Friday, October 18, 2019 – ALSO Instructor Course-. Download Course Brochure
Saturday, October 19, 2019 – ALSO Provider Course-Download Course Brochure
At the end of ALSO courses, attendees will be able to:
- Discuss educational tools that can be used when giving feedback to ALSO course participants.
- Describe how to assist participants in dealing with questions and conflicts that can occur during the workstations.
- Demonstrate teaching capabilities by providing hands-on role-play utilizing maternal-fetal mannequins along with timely feedback in order to adapt teaching methods to various situations.
- Demonstrate the ability to facilitate group discussion, as well as consider ways to implement faculty and learner feedback to enhance the educational experience.
- Upon successful completion of this activity, learners will be designated as ALSO Instructor Candidates.
Instructor Candidates are required to:
- Be observed by an Advisory Faculty teaching in one ALSO Provider Course within 1 year of their instructor course date.
- Have an Instructor Candidate Evaluation completed by an Advisory Faculty member who recommends to the AAFP that the candidate become an ALSO Approved Instructor.
Advanced Life Support in Obstetrics (ALSO) Provider Course. The ALSO Provider course is designed to enhance cognitive and procedural skills of health care professionals to help them manage obstetrical emergencies. The ALSO Provider course is geared to all maternity care providers, including physicians, residents, nurse midwives, registered nurses and other clinicians. Completion of this course awards ALSO Provider status for two years.
AAFP recently updated this course to use a blended learning classroom format which combines online digital media with traditional classroom methods. This allows the live portion of the ALSO Provider Course to be held in one day instead of two without reducing the covered materials by introducing an online portion. Participants are asked to complete required online course elements at their own learning pace prior to the live course.
At the end of this course, attendees will be able to:
- Discuss methods of managing pregnancy and birth urgencies and emergencies, which standardizes the skills of practicing maternity care providers.
- Demonstrate content and skill acquisition as evidenced by successful completion of course examination, skills work stations and group testing stations.
For additional information see AAFP’s FAQ section.