2020 Legislative Agenda
We encourage you to become familiar with WAFP’s legislative agenda and stay up to date on the latest developments through our regular legislative updates.
Support legislation reinforcing the essential role of primary care in the physical and mental health of Washington residents, including any to:
- Set targets to increase statewide spending on primary care and identify and direct the implementation of strategies to achieve them.
- Further integrate mental health services into primary care settings.
- Increase Medicaid reimbursement for family physicians.
- Reduce the legal, administrative, and tax burden imposed on family physicians.
Support legislation improving Washington residents' access to high quality primary care services, including any to:
- Maintain or improve the health care coverage under the Affordable Care Act.
- Sustain Community Health Centers, Rural Health Clinics, and Teaching Health Centers.
- Create incentives for medical students to go in to primary care.
- Increase Graduate Medical Education funding for family medicine residencies.
Support legislation addressing social determinants of health and strengthening the public health system, including any to:
- Sufficiently fund core public health services.
- Reduce gun violence.
- Improve access to housing and good nutrition.
- Address climate change.
- Integrate services to address social determinants of health into primary care.
Oppose legislation diminishing the role of or reducing access to family physicians, or making it harder to maintain such a practice, including any to:
- Impose inappropriate new programs or requirements on family physicians.
- Reduce quality or increase risks to patients.
- Reduce funding to crucial safety net health care programs.