Dr. Amanda Kost Named
2021 Family Medicine Educator of the Year
Seattle family physician Amanda Kost, MD, M.Ed., has been named Family Medicine Educator of the Year for 2021. The prestigious award is given annually to recognize Academy members for excellence in teaching, development of innovative teaching models, or implementation of outstanding educational programs.
In nominating Dr. Kost, current colleagues and former students cited her clinical excellence, her compassion for teaching and for her students, and her educational innovation.
Dr. Kost is currently an assistant professor at the University of Washington Department of Family Medicine in Seattle. In addition to her professorship, she is the Associate Director and Teaching Scholars Director for the Center for Learning and Innovation in Medical Education.
She is the recipient of numerous honors and awards; among them the University of Washington WWAMI Professionalism Award; the UW Cares Award; the AAMC Early Career Women Faculty Development Seminar; and the Society of Teachers of Family Medicine New Faculty Scholar. Dr. Kost has instituted programs to provide feedback to clerkship faculty; to prepare medical students to care for urban underserved populations; and to implement a series of courses on diversity, health equity, social determinants of health, health care systems, ethics, professionalism, global and public health, and lifelong learning.
Dr. Kost earned her bachelor’s from Cornell and graduated summa cum laude from the State University of New York at Buffalo School of Medicine and Biomedical Science. She completed her residency at the University of Washington Family Medicine Residency’s Harborview Clinic and earned a master’s in education in measurement and statistics from the University of Washington.
- 2020: Katheryn Norris, DO
- 2019: Paul Gianutsos, MD, MPH
- 2018: Sharon Dobie, MD, MCP
- 2017: Carl Morris, MD, MPH
- 2016: Raye Maestas, MD, Seattle
- 2015: Nancy Gray Stephens, MD, MPH, Seattle
- 2014: H. Thomas Greer, MD, MPH, Seattle
- 2014: Walter Hollow, MD, Tacoma
- 2013: Judith Pauwels, MD, Seattle
- 2012: Kevin F. Murray, MD, Tacoma
- 2011: Russell G. Maier, MD, Yakima
- 2010: Samuel W. Cullison, MD, Seattle
- 2009 Jane H. Huntington, MD, Seattle
- 2008: Roger A. Rosenblatt, MD, Seattle